Liability Insurance for Nonprofit Organizations 101

You may think that your nonprofit does not need liability insurance but this thinking is flawed and may put you in big trouble should there be an accident. 

What kind of insurance do you need for your nonprofit organization? The answer to that question depends entirely on what your organization is and does. Not the most helpful answer, we know, but every organization is different. But there is one thing that all organizations have in common: risk to their nonprofit. If there’s an accident on the premise, are you protected? The one policy that every nonprofit organization requires is liability insurance to protect them against their own unique risks that face their organization.

General Liability: Offers protection in case anyone gets hurt on your property or if there is damage caused by you or your employees.

Directors & Officers Liability: Protects the directors and officers for claims made against their managerial decisions.

Professional Liability: Protects against claims from failure to perform your specified service.

Employment Practices Liability: Protects you from claims that are made by your employees for wrongful employment acts. Things like wrongful termination, sexual harassment, discrimination, et cetera.

Abuse Coverage Liability: Provides coverage against a claim of abuse. This coverage is essential, especially if your nonprofit works with sensitive populations. It does not matter if the claims are without merit, you will still require this coverage.

Hired/Non-Owned Auto Liability: When your employee drives their personal vehicle for a work-related mission and gets into an accident, this will cover the damages done to both vehicles.

Your nonprofit needs to be protected at all times from the risk of liability. Contact the experts at Colorado Nonprofit Insurance Agency, part of HUB International in Denver, Colorado at 303-894-0298. We will work with you to ensure you are getting the most out of your coverage.